February 28, 2013

The Definition of Dessert

We don't eat bread, so this is what I use my toaster for
(unplugged of course)
When most people think of desserts they think of cookies, cakes, ice cream or pie. When I think of dessert, I think of anything that is processed such as bread, cereal, dairy, snack bars, frozen dinners, pasta, fast food and more.

When trying to eat healthy focusing on eating real food is the key. If you use this simple rule it will clarify and simplify most health questions or issues.

Does it have a long ingredients list? If it does, then odds are it is not going to be healthy. Can you pronounce the ingredients on the list? If you can’t read it, don’t eat it.

A cucumber, pineapple or venison does not have an ingredients list, obviously. But bread, Vitamin Water and Nutri-grain bars on the other hand have a long, unprounceable ingredients list.

If you can find something in nature and eat it then it’s going to be healthy. The more levels of processing something has been through, the unhealthier it is for you.

For example, a blueberry picked directly from the wild can be eaten, but for you to eat grain from a field it has to go through different levels of processing and typically contains made in a lab nutrients or fiber added back into it because they were damaged during the processing of the food.

The next time you are eating a meal think about it from a real food or dessert food perspective. Healthy protein, fruits and vegetables are real food. Processed food such as dairy, grains and packaged food is dessert.

Eat real, healthy, nutritious food 80 percent of the time. The other 20 percent of the time, enjoy dessert! But now you know to choose your dessert wisely... a piece of bread or a piece of cake?

Because it is all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment